Your AC compressor is a mandatory component without which the AC can not fulfill its purpose. However, like all components, the air conditioner compressor may require replacement after considerable use and damage. Therefore, knowing the AC compressor replacement cost comes in handy for homeowners. Here, we will discuss the AC compressor for home costs in detail.
Usual AC Compressor Cost
On average, the AC compressor home unit can take anywhere between 600 to 2500 USD to replace completely. This air conditioner compressor costs can vary based on the applicable warranty. If the compressor is under warranty, some of these costs will reduce. As such, your aircon compressor cost will be between 600 to 1200 USD. However, if the warranty does not apply or the manufacturer has not provided it, the cost can rise as high as between 1300 and 2500 USD.
Why Costs for Replacement Differ Compared to The Unit Costs
When you hire a team for AC compressor replacement, you need to pay two distinct types of costs. First, the cost of the unit itself is required. These costs can vary between 400 and 1300 USD based on the brand, make and model. Next, HVAC contractors require payment for their services and labor charges to get the unit replaced or installed. These amounts can vary between 100 to 150 USD per hour based on your area, the contract your hire, and the complexity of the service. Note that other repairs may be required in some cases before the AC compressor for home units can be replaced. In such cases, the hourly rate charged may be higher.
Different Cost Factors to Consider When Determining AC Compressor Costs
When considering replacing your home AC Compressor, different cost influencing factors must be considered in detail:
- Warranty: Warranties are provided by the manufacturers for damage to the Ac compressor in many different situations. These warranties will only cover the cost of the new Ac compressor unit. Therefore, you still need t pay for the labor costs of replacement.
- Type: There are many different compressors available, including the single-stage and variable-speed models. The variable speed model can cost significantly higher than the single-stage model in most cases.
- Size: Ac compressor for bigger units is often costly and comes at a higher price. These are expensive to build and replace.
- Refrigerant Type: Compressor replacement means that the refrigerant must be refilled. This refill can cost anywhere between 100 to 600 USD based on the refrigerant being used.
- Brand and Model: Your AC’s brand and model also determine the replacement costs. High-end brands require significantly higher costs to replace the AC compressor.
Size-based Replacement Costs
The prices can variate based on the size of the AC compressor. A 6-ton compressor is usually the largest size that is used in large homes or small industrial spaces. A compressor of this size requires around 3000 USD to replace at maximum. Other sizes smaller than 6-ton will require much lesser amounts to replace 600 USD.
Different Types of ACs
The compressors of different types of ACs also have different prices when it comes to replacement. The usual central air compressor can cost anywhere between 1000 USD to 2500 USD to replace the compressor. A similar process applies if you use a mini-split AC in your home. On the other hand, people who use window AC units can install a completely new unit for between 150 and 750 USD, lower than the price required to replace the compressor alone.
Which AC Compressor Should You Buy?
When replacing the AC compressor, people often consider the type they should invest their money in. The single-stage compressor is less expensive and can be repaired easily. Therefore, you won’t require frequent replacements for this compressor. However, the compressor is much less efficient and more costly than the other variants. The most efficient and least expensive to run is the variable-speed compressor. However, it comes at a very high initial installation cost. Therefore, the final choice comes down to the budget you have at hand for the AC compressor replacement. Similarly, you may choose between reciprocating, scroll, rotary, screw, and centrifugal processors as well. These processors can vary in installation costs and efficiencies based on your requirements.
Consider all the aspects mentioned above when determining the cost of your AC replacement. Choose the right reasons because prices go higher in summers when the compressors are in high demand. Remember, the costs are always changing, so look back at this article for any specific updates that may occur with time.